My Toy Fair Blog – TIMIO Toynamics
- Please introduce yourself and your company: My name is Basile Fattal, creator and founder of TIMIO BV, based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. TIMIO BV was founded in 2017 with the intention of offering a screen free toy that exceeds parents’ expectations, and a product that helps children grow and grows with children.
- What products are you launching at Toy Fair? We’re launching TIMIO, the interactive educational audio and music player for kids. After a very successful Kickstarter campaign in 2019, we started selling TIMIO directly to consumers in 2020, shipping to over 60 countries. In 2021 we started selling TIMIO through over 400 retailers in Western Europe.
TIMIO stimulates speech and language, imagination and cognitive skills of children from 2+ and has 8 languages included! It is screen free and provides an autonomous way for learning through play. TIMIO is interactive and easy to use. Simply place a disc on TIMIO and tap an image to play. The youngest children will connect sounds and images that turn into vocabulary. Older children can answer quizzes, listen to stories to relax, or fun music to make them move. And the oldest ones can discover new languages to learn about diversity and cultural awareness.
The TIMIO player comes with 5 discs in the starter kit, and for more learning potential we offer 4 additional disc sets. Each set includes 5 discs with engaging content for multiple ages on multiple subjects and in multiple languages for hours of edutainment.
- How did you get into the toy industry? I have been producing children’s music since 2013, with dozens of releases that can be streamed online through music outlets such as Spotify and iTunes. I realised that children didn’t have a device to play their favourite tune on, like we did in the past. We grew up cassette and CD players, but more recently kids only had access to screen devices – complex, not intended for small children and not necessarily that healthy. Hence the TIMIO idea: to give children control of when and what they want to play with and their own simple to use device.
- What was your favourite toy growing up? I played a lot with LEGO when I was young. A great toy that expands children’s imagination and problem-solving skills.
- What is the one “special ingredient” that makes a great toy? Fun and simplicity are key elements, but if on top of that the toy can inspire and stimulate the imagination then you’ve got a winning formula. Long lasting is also important, especially to help the impact on the environment.
- Other than your own, what toy brand really stands out to you today? LEGO is a brand that has learned to continuously evolve over generations to still offer meaningful toys to children. Other great brands are Hape with their focus on high quality educational toys, and Schleich’s timeless figurines loved by both children and their parents.
- What was your best memory of Toy Fair? This my first attendance, I’m sure it’ll be memorable 😊
- What’s your top tip for surviving Toy Fair? For any fair, know what you’re looking for and focus on a few brands … don’t forget to take comfortable shoes!